Railroad Short Name: SP
Introduced in 1992, EMD SD70M was a 4000 horsepower locomotive that ran on EMD’s new steerable truck design, known as the HTCR-II radial truck. This new truck allowed the locomotive to transfer its power to the rails more efficiently, which in turn enabled two SD70M locomotives to pull a train that would have taken 3 SD40-2’s to pull. The DC brother of the SD70MAC, the SD70M was primarily put to work hauling coal trains due to its high pulling capacity.
- Powerful five-pole KATO motor with dual brass flywheels
- Directional Headlight and illuminated, preprinted numberboards
- Kato magnetic knuckle coupler
- DCC Friendly mechanism ready for drop-in decoder installation
- Drop in DCC compatible with the Digitrax DN163K1C or Train Control Systems K1D4-NC
- Digitrax decoder equipped